Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thursday May 22, 2998

Still searching for bears and a moose with a new calf. In the meantime the job is going well. The hours we settled with are 10 pm to 6 am 5 days per week. My regular days off are Thursday & Friday. I spend about three hours on a computer every night shutting down the hotel maangement system, extracting daily reports, posting daily charges to hotel guests, then restarting the system. We then transfer some figures from the various reports onto an excel spread sheet and when all is in balance I get to go eat breakfast then go to bed.

The Denali National Park road continues to be my primary source of exploration. Some friends and I just returned from a drive and picked up some new pictures to add to the ones I got day before yesterday on Stampede Road - the same road taken by the guy who died in "Into the Wild".

This was one of two caribou grazing off a Stampede Road the day I was out.

Coming back onto the George Banks Highway I caught a bit of purple in my periferal vision so turned around and investigated. Since I don't yet have a book on Alaska wild flowers I can only share the picture not the identification.

Tonight's sightings included a pair of porcupines but by the time I could get positioned for a picture they were all but hidden by the willow bushes. See if you can find one in this.

Two our party stopped at the dog kennels to walk one of the sled team dogs. We agreed to pick them up at 8:30 and we continued down the park road in search of baby moose and bears. We saw this herd of caribout peacfully grazing and decided that there were probably no bears in the vicinity.

You have seen Savage Rock on this blog before but the sky was so intensly blue tonight I couldn't resist another. This was taken at about 8:10 pm on 5/22/08.

More unidentified wild flowers.

This is a view of the railroad trestle from the park road.

Tomorrow, I'm going on a bus trip 53 miles into the park to Toklak river. There have to be some bears who wan to be photographed.

1 comment:

Eva said...

tanta inmensidad.. tierra yo latiendo una misma frecuencia... gracias por mostrarme estas imagenes! de esa manera todos viajamos un poquito a conocer lugares a los q posiblemente no lleguemos nunca...