Monday, May 12, 2008

Catching up - May 12, 2008

Ok. It's time to get this blog going. H & B left Anchorage this morning headed for home. I think they saw more wildlife after they left me than we had seen together although the lynx and wolves were pretty exciting. (If you have not already, you need to check out Becky's blog at http://www.hhhalaskatrek.blogspot.com/). If you have already checked it out you may want to go back and look at it again after she has a chance to get back to Hinsdale and work on it more.

I am not writing this on my computer but will manage that tomorrow and will then add some pictures.

So far, my job with ARAMARK at the McKinley Chalet has been mostly training and frustration but I'm sure it will settle down into a routine.

I am doing night audit which entails shutting down the computer system, closing the day, posting all charges for the day, extracting reports etc. The biggest hitch is that we cannot accomplish this if someone fails to log out of their computer prior to leaving for the day. That happened to me last night so tonight we will have two days to post and there will be several annoyed executives since they didn't get their daily reports today. Maybe if they get sufficiently annoyed they will fix the problem.

I have driven into Denali National Park (a 6 million acre protected wilderness with a true jewel within its boundaries - Denali (or as the politicians from the lower 48 call it "Mt. McKinley") many times now and each time there is less snow and more water running. Saturday afternoon I took one of my co-workers into the park for the first time (since I hadn't planned on doing this ahead of time, I failed to have my camera with me) and we were blessed with seeing two grizzly bears, a mother and her two year old cub. They were binocular distance but appeared to be rather large and a beautiful caramel color. Went back yesterday with the camera and they were hiding.

Enough for today. A few of us are going back this evening. Maybe I can add a grizzly picture tomorrow.
Carl

No comments: